List of Mines in North Devon and West Somerset
Site Identification Number - 184
Combe Martin parish, Devon
Site now occupied by Loverings Garage in Borough Road. Silver-lead smelter operated by Combmartin and North Devon Smelting Co.Ltd. 1845-51. Original building (walls only, recently re-roofed destroying original pantile roof) and remains of flue up hillside to southwest. (For details of processes used in earlier, as yet unidentified, sites, see Claughton,1992b)
For details of the archaeology of silver-lead mining and smelting in this parish see Atkinson 1997, pp. 73-102.
[LIST INDEX | CONTENTS PAGE]
Peter Claughton / Dept. of Economic and Social History
Last modified 10 May 1998