[LOGO]

List of Mines in North Devon and West Somerset


Blackland Mine.

Site Identification Number - 151

Withypool parish, Somerset

NGR SS840.368.


Adits and shafts 600 yds northwest of Halsgrove Farm. Iron mine worked by the Exford Iron Ore Co. 1875-81. Reported to be at work in 1895; reopened in 1907 by the Withypool Mining Co. and taken over by the Somerset Mineral Syndicate in 1908 but closed in 1910. In 1917 the mine was examined by the Geological Survey and in the following year it was leased by the South Western Mining Syndicate but it is not known if any working took place. In 1938 and 1942 the mine was reopened for investigation but not worked. Remains of tramway incline (earthworks only) and powder magazine. (Plan of site in Wilson-North 1996, p. 140)

[LIST INDEX | CONTENTS PAGE]


Peter Claughton / Dept. of Economic and Social History
P.F.Claughton@exeter.ac.uk
Last modified 6 June 1998