List of Mines in North Devon and West Somerset
Site Identification Number - 117
North Molton parish, Devon
Openworkings and adits on west side of Mole valley south of Heasley Mill. Early working for iron; opened up for gold in 1853 as South Poltimore but abandoned with collapse of Poltimore and Britannia mines. Reworked for iron and manganese from 1873 as part of enlarged Bampfylde sett until about 1884. Served by branch of the Florence Mine tramway.
For brief details of iron and copper mining in this parish see Atkinson 1997, pp. 37-9 and 42-55 respectively.
Note - the authorís view of copper/gold mining development in this parish is not in agreement with that expressed by Dixon in Atkinson 1997. See Claughton Jan 1997 for areas of disagreement.
[LIST INDEX | CONTENTS PAGE]
Peter Claughton / Dept. of Economic and Social History
Last modified 13 May 1998