[LOGO]

List of Mines in North Devon and West Somerset


Knap Down Mine

Site Identification Number - 092

Combe Martin parish, Devon

NGR SS597.466.


Shafts and adit 200 yds ENE of 'Silver Mines Farm'. Ancient adit adjacent to Corner Lane to south west of farm. Site of ancient workings for silver-lead. Reopened 1836 by Combmartin and North Devon Mining Co. but abandoned 1846. Reopened again in 1848 as North Devon Wheal Rose; in Dec. 1850 as Nap Down Consols. In 1859 the North Devon Silver-lead Mining Co. Ltd was formed and worked the mine until 1873. Some prospecting in 1890s and again in 1927. Sett included Girt Vale workings. Remains of engine house for Sims combined cylinder pumping engine (1843-73). (Claughton,1992a)
For details of the archaeology of silver-lead mining and smelting in this parish see Atkinson 1997, pp. 73-102.

[LIST INDEX | CONTENTS PAGE]


Peter Claughton / Dept. of Economic and Social History
P.F.Claughton@exeter.ac.uk
Last modified 10 May 1998