List of Mines in North Devon and West Somerset
East Combe Mine.
Site Identification Number - 065
Swimbridge parish, Devon
Also known as Coombe Valley Consols or Swymbridge Mine. Shafts and adit 150yds southeast of Hannaford Bridge. Worked for silver-lead in the 1830s by Swymbridge Mining Co. and again from 1845 to at least 1847 by the East Combe Silver-lead Mining Co.; reopened in 1859 as Coombe Valley Consols and worked until at least 1864. Attempted reopening in 1871 (as Russel Silver-lead) and 1872 (as South Combmartin). Remains of two masonry lined shafts, waterwheel pit and culverted leat.
[LIST INDEX | CONTENTS PAGE]
Peter Claughton / Dept. of Economic and Social History
Last modified 10 May 1998