Location of the principal printed primary sources for mining history
Statistical Sources Mining Periodicals
Some of the statistical sources listed below were published by command of the UK Parliament and are therefore included in the Parliamentary Papers held by many research libraries, either as original copy or on microfiche. They can also be accessed on-line at http://parlipapers.chadwyck.co.uk/home.do through subscribing organisations, universities or other higher education institutions - search titles under 'Mines and Minerals'. Such sources, which were published wholly or in part in the Parliamentary Papers, are noted with an asterix *.
See also Note 1 below
List of Mines *
Author: Great Britain. Mines Department.
Title: List of mines in Great Britain and the Isle of Man / United Kingdom.
- British Geological Survey, Keyworth - 1854-1950 (See Note 2 below)
- British Library - 1921-1939 (B.S.27/1)
- British Library of Political and Economic Science - 1915,
1917-21, 1923-45, 1948 & 1950
- Cambridge University Library - 1888-1915, 1917-38, 1945, 1948, 1950
- Cardiff Central Reference Library - 1888, 1893, 1894 to 1950 with some gaps
- Manchester Central Reference Library - 1911 onwards (PF338.2M2)
- Newcastle upon Tyne (The Literary and Philosophical Society) - 1906, 1911, 1912
- NEIMME (Newcastle) - 1897-1919, 1921-1929, 1931-1937, 1940-1941, 1943-1945, 1948
- Swansea (University Library) - 1888, 1889, 1895, 1897, 1899, 1900, 1918 plus 1892, 1893 bound with Mineral Statistics
(Folios FX6552.3 HOM)
- National Coal Mining Museum for England - 1854-1937, 1944, 1948, 1950
Directory of Mines and Quarries
Author: British Geological Survey.
Title: List, later Directory of mines and quarries
Published: 1850; Keyworth, 1984 onwards (irregularly)
- National Coal Mining Museum for England -
List of Quarries *
Author: Great Britain. Home Office, later Board of Trade Mines Department
Title: List of quarries (under the Quarries Act 1894) in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and the Isle of Man ...
Published: London (1896-1939)
- British Library - 1895-1937 (B.S.27/1.b and B.S.27/2)
- British Library of Political and Economic Science - 1912,1918,1925,1928 & 1934.
- Cambridge University Library - 1894-1920.
- Cardiff Central Reference Library - 1911-1920, 1925, 1928, 1931, 1934, 1937.
- Manchester Central Reference Library - 1922 to 1934 (P338.2M3)
- Oxford,Bodleian Library (RSL section) - 1921-1948 (Per. 18850 d. 24 (1921-1948).
- Swansea (University Library) - 1901
- National Coal Mining Museum for England - 1911 only
- NEIMME (Newcastle) - 1897-1915
Directory of Quarries and Pits
Publisher: Quarry Managersí Association, afterwards Institution of Quarry Managers, afterwards Institute of Quarrying (ENGLAND)
Title: The Directory of Quarries, Sandpits, Brickworks, etc. 1927(1929). (The Directory of Quarries, Clayworks, Sand and Gravel Pits, etc. 4th [etc.] edition. 1931 [etc.].).
Published: Birmingham, 1927 on.
- National Coal Mining Museum for England - 19th, 24th, 28th and 31st (2007/2008) edns
Mineral Statistics *
(Full statistics in Parliamentary Papers from 1884, in summary only prior to that date)
- Cambridge University Library - 1854-81
- Cardiff Central Reference Library - 1853 to 1871
- Flintshire Record Office - 1853-1919 unbound vols, includes 1858 Part I Clay works and quarries (D/GR/1545-1617)
- Swansea (University Library) - 1883-89, 1891-96 (Folios FX6506.G6 HOM)
- National Coal Mining Museum for England - 1853-1880 (Except 1857, 1863, 1865, 1872, 1873, and 1875)
- NEIMME (Newcastle) - 1853-1919 [1897-1919 as Part III of the Mines Inspectors Reports]
Mines Inspectors Reports (Mines & Quarries Inspectors Reports) *
- Cardiff Central Reference Library - 1851 to 1914 with gaps; (Mines & Quarries) - Reports 1921 to 1975
- Manchester Central Reference Library - extent not known (PF622.8M2)
- National Coal Mining Museum for England - 1871, 1872, 1875, 1878-present
- NEIMME (Newcastle) - 1850-1923, 1925-37, 1938-1954, 1961-77
Mines and minerals : annual general report upon the mineral industry of the United Kingdom *
- Swansea (University Library) - 1894-1918. Reports for 1914 to 1918 bound in 1. Lacks report for 1912. (Store Folios TN 57 HOM)
List of plans of abandoned mines *
- Swansea (University Library) - 1889-91, 1895, 1897, 1899 (Store Folios TN 57 HOM)
- National Coal Mining Museum for England - 1928-30 plus 1931 and 1938 supplements
- NEIMME (Newcastle) - 1928-31
Colliery Year Book
Published 1922 on
- Swansea (South Wales Miners Library) - 1925-32, 1934-37 HD9552.3 COL
- Cambridge University Library
- National Coal Mining Museum for England - 1927, 1935, 1937-1964
Published: London, weekly, 1835 onwards.
- Birmingham Central Library - 1849(Vol 19) to 1889(Vol 59)
- Cambridge University Library
- Cardiff Central Reference Library - 1849 to 1851
- Flintshire Record Office - 1835-40 bound vols (D/GR/1535-9); 1845-53 microfilm (Mf 293-7); 1854-6 bound vols (D/GR/1540-2); 1857-72 microfilm (Mf 298-313); 1873-4 Bound vols (D/GR/1543-4).
- Leeds University Library - v.27, no.1152 - v.31 (Sept. 19, 1857 - 1861); v.86, no.3854 - v.87,
no.3880 (July - Dec. 1909); v.89, no. 3893-3904 (Apr. - June 18, 1910);
v.91, n.3919-3932 (Oct. - Dec. 1910); v.98-111 (July 1912 - Dec. 1915);
v.262, no.6718- (May 22, 1964-) Incomplete
- Liverpool Central Library - 1846(Vol16) to 1868(Vol 38); 1869(Vol39
part2) to 1871(Vol 41); 1875(Vol45 first quarter missing) to 1919(Vol
- Manchester City Library - 1869 onwards (f622.05, M14)
- National Coal Mining Museum for England, Wakefield - continuous run to 1931, 1950-1960, 1973-1981, 1995-present.
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin - 1835 onwards (some gaps 1853 and, possibly, 1860)
- National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth - 1835 to June 1839; 1840-1851; 1868-1869;
1871-1898; 1912 onwards. (TNI J8) - most gaps in holding now filled using microfilm copies.
- NEIMME (Newcastle) - 1835-1985
- Redruth Public Library - 1836 onwards, except 1842 and 1845-1849 incl.
- National Library of Wales - 1873(Vol 4); 1874(Vol6) to 1893(Vol45)
Mining and Smelting Magazine
- Flintshire Record Office - Vol I 1862, Vols III-VII 1863-5 (D/GR/1507-12)
- Lancashire Mining Museum (current status unknown)
Quarterly Mining Review (later Mining Review)
- Flintshire Record Office - 1830-5 bound vols (D/GR/1498-9)
Records of Mining (ed John Taylor) - only one volume published.
- Flintshire Record Office - Vol 1 1829 (D/GR/1497)
Colliery Guardian, including Colliery Guardian Annual Guide to the Coalfields.
Published 1858 onwards (Annual Guide from 1948 onwards)
- Cambridge University Library
- Swansea (South Wales Miners Library) - vols. 35-36, 1878; vols. 38-47/48, 1879-1884; vols. 109-231, 1915-1983 (Store HD9552.3 COL)
- National Coal Mining Museum for England - 1885 - present (with a few issues missing)
- Ironbridge Gorge Museum - 1858-1911
- NEIMME (Newcastle) - 1858-1988
South Wales Coal Annual
- Swansea (South Wales Miners Library) - 1917, 1925, 1926 W/HD9551.2
Iron & Coal Trades Review
- Ironbridge Gorge Museum - 1870-1910
- Birmingham Central Library
- British Geological Survey Library, Keyworth, Nottinghamshire.
- British Library (St Pancras), 96 Euston Road, London NW1 2DB - Note - many relevant publications at this library (particularly List of Mines, 1850 to 1888) are held off site and prior notice is required.
- British Library of Political and Economic Science at the LSE (25
Southampton Buildings, London, WC2A 1PH - although this is only a
temporary address during rebuilding at their original premises; http://www.blpes.lse.ac.uk/
- Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge, CB3 9DR, tel 01223 333000, email
firstname.lastname@example.org, web site www.lib.cam.ac.uk
- Cardiff Central Reference Library,
- Flintshire Record Office, The Old Rectory, Hawarden, Flintshire CH5 3NR Tel: 01244 532364 Fax: 01244 538344 E-mail: email@example.com Appointments necessary.
- Ironbridge Gorge Museum - Library & Archives, Coach Road, Coalbrookdale, Telford, Shropshire TF8 7DQ; Tel: 01952 432141; Fax: 01952 435 999; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website http://www.ironbridge.org.uk/about_us/library_and_archives/index.asp
- Lancashire Mining Museum (current status unknown)
- Leeds, University Library, Leeds LS2 9JT, tel. 0113 34 35663, http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library
- Liverpool Central Library, William Brown Street, Liverpool, L3 8EW
- The Literary and Philosophical Society of Newcastle upon Tyne, 23 Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 1SE; tel. +44 (0)191 232 0192; http://www.litandphil.org.uk/
- Manchester City Library, Libraries and Theatres Department, Central Library, St. Peter's Square, M2 5PD, Tel: 0161 234 1900, www.manchester.gov.uk/libraries/
- National Coal Mining Museum for England, Caphouse Colliery, New Road, Overton, Wakefield, West Yorkshire WF4 4RH. Tel: 01924 848806 Fax: 01924 840694, http://www.ncm.org.uk
- National Library of Ireland, Kildare Street, Dublin 2.
- National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion SY23 3BU Tel: 01970 632800
- North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers (NEIMME), Neville Hall, Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 1SE, http://www.mininginstitute.org.uk/library/ e-mail email@example.com
- Oxford, Bodleian Library, Oxford OX1 3BG
- Redruth Public Library (Cornish Studies Library),Clinton Road, Redruth, Cornwall TR15 2QE, Tel: Redruth +44(0) 1209 216760, Fax: Redruth +44(0) 1209 210283, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Swansea, Library & Information Centre, University of Wales Swansea, Singleton Park, Swansea SA2 8PP, Tel. 01792 295697, E-mail email@example.com
- Swansea, South Wales Miners Library, Hendrefoelan, Swansea SA2 7NB, Tel. 01792 518603, E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Some statistics for non-ferrous metal mining have been collated by Burt et al., using material from the Mineral Statistics and Lists of Mines. For background information on the collation and the sources go to Exeter Mining History Research. Those collated statistics were published as follows-
- 'Scottish Metalliferous Mining 1845-1913: Detailed Returns from the Mineral Statistics', Industrial Archaeology, Vol. 16, Nos. 1 & 2, (1981).
- The Derbyshire Mineral Statistics, (Exeter, 1981).
- The Yorkshire Mineral Statistics, (Exeter, 1982).
- The Cumberland Mineral Statistics, 1845-1913, (Exeter, 1982).
- The Lancashire and Westmorland Mineral Statistics with the Isle of Man, (Exeter, 1983)
- The Durham and Northumberland Mineral Statistics, (Exeter, 1983).
- Devon and Somerset Mines, (Exeter, 1984).
- The Mines of Cardiganshire, (Exeter, 1985).
- Cornish Mines, (Exeter, 1987).
- The Mines of Shropshire and Montgomeryshire, with Cheshire and Staffordshire, (Exeter, 1990).
- The Mines of Flintshire and Denbighshire, (Exeter, 1992).
- The BGS holding of the List of Mines, etc. -
They have an almost complete set of 'List of Mines' and probably quarries from
1854 to 1950. Part of the problem is that they have bound the list together with that year's statistics
and (in older editions at least) the list of abandonment plans - it thus
appeared in the BGS catalogue as "Memoirs of the Geological Survey Mineral
Statistics of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland". In the
older editions, the 'List of Mines' title is not used and the lists of coal
pits appear as "Collieries in the United Kingdom" (Mike Gill - message to the mining-history list 12 August 2004).
Return to Statistical Sources
This listing is compiled from information submitted by researchers and librarians - please continue that by send details to the author P.F.Claughton@exeter.ac.uk
[TOP OF PAGE | CONTENTS PAGE]
Peter Claughton / College of Humanities
Last modified 3 February 2014