Rapporteur Group on Coordination of Profile Activities
Minutes of Meeting, 11.05.95
University of Twente, Netherlands

1    Opening

1.1  The meeting was opened at 09:00 on 11.05.95 at the ISCC, University of Twente, Enschede, Netherlands, by Mr Jim Isaak, who was acting as chair since Mr Arnie Powell, the elected chair of RGCPA is unable to attend any further meetings.
1.2 The attendee list is attached to these minutes (Attachment 1)
1.3 Ron Elliot acted as secretary
1.4 No agenda had been provided for the meeting since the Chair had resigned since the last meeting.  A list of items to be discussed was agreed by the members present.
2    Administration
2.1 Action Items
9410-01    Open (reworded)
9410-02    Open
9410-03    Open
9410-04    Closed.  SGFS is reconsidering its position on allowing new options in a profile.
9410-05    Open
9410-06    Open
9410-07    Open.  Report will be obtained and mailed to RGCPA.
9410-08    Open (reworded)
9410-09    Closed
2.2 Participant Reports.  There were no reports offered.  Several participants of the last meeting were not present, especially the US rapporteur, who had been actioned with several items.
3    Project Activities
3.1 Issues List
  The outstanding issues were reviewed but no changes were made.  (RGCPA SD-2)
3.2 Progression of P1003.0
  Results of the DTR ballot will possibly not be available before the next meeting.  Disposition of comments meeting will be required in the Oct. - Dec. time frame.
3.3 Progression of P1003.18
  There is a need to provide a Taxonomy Change Proposal, a Subdivision of Work Item request to SC22.  WHen this has been accepted then there will be a SC22 Ballot and a disposition of comments will have to take place.  Finally the approved document will be submitted to SGFS for their final approval.
There is a need to review 1003.18 together with TR10000 Part 3 to see what is required for the Taxonomy Change Request.
A unique prefix must be proposed for all the POSIX profiles, e.g. P-Pxx.nnn
3.4 Explanatory Report
  There is a summary of requirements for the Explanatory report listed in WG15 N551 Section 7.
3.5 TR10000 Comments
  TR10000 Parts 1, 2 and 3 are in ballot (actual closed this week).  Comments will be discussed at the SGFS meeting in June.  SGFS will update TR10000 to include the JTC1 PAS procedures.
3.6 WG15 N551 - EWOS Proposed Development & Use of OSE Profiles
  Several profiles were reviewed to see if classes of profile could be defined.  The document has been forwarded to PASC for comment.  Comments are welcome ASAP but before Jan. 1996.
4    New Business
There was no new business.
5    Review / Approval of Resolutions
The resolutions written were approved.  We must be sure to forward to WG15 for next meeting.
6    Closing Process
6.1 Future Meetings
  The next meeting will be in Orlando, on 24.10.95 from 9:00 - 17:00.
A request to WG15 Member Bodies to provide the names of candidates for RGCPA Rapporteur has been issued but no names are yet forthcoming.  WG15 requested that if no candidates were named by the orlando meeting, then RGCPA should be closed down.
6.2 Document Numbers
  The document register is attached (RGCPA SD-1)
7    Adjournment
The meeting adjourned at 12:30 on 11.05.95

RGCPA Action Items
9505-01 Martin Kirk to request X/Open to provide a report of how the options in XPG4 relate to 9945 and how 9945 options are selected in XPG4 and/or UNIX95.  (9410-01)
9505-02 US Rapporteur to provide RGCPA with IEEE Profile documents for Review and Comment (1003.10, 1003.13 and 1003.14 are required)  (9410-02)
9505-03 French Rapporteur to advise RGCPA on the availability of an English version of the French Guide for Public Procurement, OSE Profiling Activity (N030)  (9410-03)
9505-04 US Rapporteur to provide the Annex of Options and Parameters in 9945-1 to the Rapporteur for distribution to RGCPA members for their feedback.  (9410-05)
9505-05 US Rapporteur to request a presentation of the most appropriate IEEE Profile document at the next RGCPA meeting.  (9410-06)
9505-06 UK Rapporteur to report on the status of the Framework for User Requirements (DISC) at the next meeting.  (9410-07)
9505-07 Jim Isaak to provide the report of IISP Requirements meeting to RGCPA by E-mail.  (reworded 9410-08)
9505-08 US Rapporteur to provide a summary of 9945 option selections for POSIX Profiles
9505-09 US Rapporteur to provide RGCPA with an example of where additional functionality needs to be defined in a profile, by Oct. 1995 meeting.
9505-10 Willem Wakker to distribute SGFS SD1 to RGCPA by E-mail.
9505-11 Jim Isaak to request Keld Simonsen to set up a reflector for RGCPA E-mail.
9505-12 US Rapporteur to circulate new User Profile Development PAR to RGCAP for information
9505-13 US Rapporteur to provide an example of an explanatory report and Taxonomy Change Proposal for documents where subdivision is anticipated, to RGCPA by E-mail and to forward results to WG15 by 09/01/95 for action at the Oct. 1995 meeting.

RGCPA Resolutions
9505-01 Forwarding of POSIX Profiles

Whereas the work in the POSIX Profiles is in the domain of SC22, and
Whereas SC22 has not had teh chance to respond in the balloting context to an ISP proposal,
Therefore RGCPA recommends that the US National Body forward its POSIX Profiles through an SC22 Subdivision of work.

9505-02 Request to have Subdivision of work on Agenda of next WG15 meeting

RGCPA requests WG15 to place the subject of Subdivision of Work Item for POSIX Profiles onto the agenda of the October 1995 WG15 meeting.  RGCPA also proposes that WG15 should forward the Taxonomy of Change Proposal as soon as possible to SC22 for ballot.

9505-03 Thanks to Organiser

RGCPA thanks Mr. Herman Weegenaar for making the meeting arrangements

9505-04 Thanks to Secretary

RGCPA thanks Mr. Ron Elliot for acting as secretary to the meeting.

Attachment 1
RGCPA Attendance List
Twente, May 1995
Dave Blackwood Canada
Ron Elliot Germany
Don Folland UK
James Isaak USA
Willem Wakker Netherlands

RGCPA Document List
Doc# Document Title Date/distributed
1 TSG1 Final Report (Preliminary) 90/09 - 90/12/04
2 FIPS Publication 151-1 90/09 - 90/12/04
3 P1003.18/D3 POSIX Platform 90/09 - 90/12/04
4 EWOS Expert Group on Common Application Environment Interim Report 90/09 - 90/12/04
5 RGCPA Meeting Notice and Agenda 90/11/26 - 90/12/04
6 Minutes of WG15 Profile Coord. Ad Hoc Mtg.  (WG15 163) 91/06/03 - 92/01/13
7 Intro for the WG15 Profile Coord. Ad Hoc Mtg.  (WG15 166) 91/05/31 - 92/01/13
8 SGFS Report (WG15 N191) 91/08/19 - 92/01/13
9 Excerpts from proposed FIPS 151-2 91/12 - 92/01/13
10 Framework for User Requirements 91/12 - 92/03/20
11 Proposed Terms of Reference for RGCPA 92/01 - 92/03/20
12 TR10000-1.3 revision 91/12 - 92/03/20
13 SGFS Report (issues/results) 91/12 - 92/03/20
14 January 1992 RGCPA Minutes 92/01 - 92/03/20
15 PSC Standards Reference 91/12 - 92/03/20
16 PSC Summary of POSIX SP Efforts (P1003.0/D14) 91/12 - 92/03/20
17 IEEE TCOS Balloting Chart 92/03 - 92/03/20
18 X/Open's Response t "Required Interface Definitions" 91/10 - 92/03/20
19 RGCPA Meeting Notice and Agenda for Oct. 1992 92/10 - 92/10/23
20 Liaison Report on SGFS meeting June 1992 92/10 - 92/10/23
21 EWOS - Method for Developing and Documenting OSE Profiles 92/06/26 - 92/10/23
22 EWOS - The Documentation Structure for OSE Profiles 92/06/25 - 92/10/23
23 Minutes of RGCPA Meeting, Oct. 1992 92/10/24 - 92/11/02
24 RGCPA Agenda 93/05/10 - 93/05/11
25 PSC Policies and Guidelines:  SEC N0376 92/11/23
27 ISO/IEC SGFS N817 - TR10000-1.3 93/03/25
28 ISO/IEC SGFS N862 - Framework and Taxonomy of International Profiles 93/03/25
29 ISO/IEC SGFS - EWOS comments on Concepts of OSE 93/04/30
30 French Guide for Public Procurement (J-M Cornu) 93/04/28
31 Minutes of RGCPA Meeting, May 1993
32 Netherlands comments on draft 15 of P1003.0 93/04/09
33 Agenda for the RGCPA Annapolis meeting 93/05 - 93/07
34 RWS-TR001 Review 93/04/28 - 93/07
35 Minutes of RGCPA Meeting, October 1993
36 Liaison Statement SGFS N1024 93/09/16 - 93/10/25
37 Draft liaison statement to OIW on SGFS N1024 93/10/07 - 93/10/25
38 RGCPA Major Work Items in progress 93/10/26 - 93/10/26
39 Meeting Notice and Draft Agenda for Whistler Meeting 94/10/20
40 SC22/WG15 RGCPA Report to WG15 94/10/24
41 Minutes of RGCPA Meeting, October 1994 94/10/24
42 Proposed Distribution of Comments to PDTR 14252 94/10/19
43 RGCPA Major Work Items in progress 94/10/25
44 Minutes of RGCPA Meeting, May 1995 95/05/11


OPEN Issues List

9105-02 What is the process for ensuring that user requirements are fully taken into account in profile harmonization

A paper from the UK (DISC) was used as basis for discussion (RGCPA N010).  It was suggested that everything be left to SGFS and RGCPA should concentrate on coordination, not investigation.  Action 9201.01 and 9201.04 raised to deal with forwarding N010.  No feedback received as of 9210 meeting.  Action 9310-09 raised.

Status:                    Open

9105-06 There are no standards for how standards should be subsetted.  The "no subsets allowed" principle established by SGFS may not be sufficient.

Reworded at 9201 meetign to read:
What approach, if any, is appropriate for subsetting of WG15 base standards.

PASC has an ad-hoc working on this subject to report back to PASC in 01/94.

P1003.13 will define how the pieces should be broken out, this will then be fed back to 1003.1, who will then find a way to subset 1003.1.  1003.13 will then point to 1003.1

Status:                    Open

CLOSED Issues List
9105-01 Should this group take any action to influence the JTC1 work on organization?

Status:                    Closed by resolution 9105-04

9105-03 How can functional profiles be constructed in areas where standardization work is incomplete, and where there are insufficient standards fully to meet the user need.

Status:                    Closed at 9305 meeting.  Resolution 9210.03 (WG15 92-210 (WG15 N326) and action item 9210-49)

9105-04 Is there a hierarchy of standardization, in which ISO standards are used by everyone, and built upon by regional bodies, national bodies and user groups in order to meet local needs?

Status:                    Closed.  Passed to SGFS

9105-08 Is it permitted in a profile specification referring to WG15 standards to give a defintion to an option which in the standard was "implementation defined", "undefined", etc.

Status:                    Closed at 9305 meeting.  This is not allowed by TR10000 Part 1.

9201-10 Should profiles referring to WG15 standards also refer to OSI standards?

Status:                    Closed.  If appropriate then they will be referred to.

9105-05 There is no unifying framework for Application Environment profiles.  The lack of one makes standards profiling less effective, and harder, than it could be.

Status:                    Closed at 9310 meeting.  SGFS is doing the workk in this area.

9105-07 Should the use of named options be discouraged

Closed at 9105 meeting.

Revisited at 9201 meeting and reworded:
Should the use of named options in POSIX standards be encouraged

There is not sufficient information available at this time to make a recommendation to POSIX.  We feel that options should be discouraged but if they are there then they should be named options.

Status:                    Closed at 10/93 meeting.  See resolution 93/02.

9201-09 Is WG15 expecting to own any profiles, and if so how are they harmonized?

Reference in the 9201 minutes to Action Item 9102-20 (cannot be found)

Status:                    Closed at 9310 meeting.  Resolution 9305-01 was forwarded to WG15.  (WG15 Resolution 93-232).  See resolution 9310-03.