The meeting was called to order and chaired by the Convener (Mr. Oblinger) at 9:00 am, Friday, February 8, 2001. The meeting location was the Doubletree Hotel, San Jose, California. The Agenda for the meeting was published in WG15 N812. Mr. Martin (U.S) agreed to serve as Secretary for this meeting.
Note: Agenda Items for which there was no business have been omitted
from these minutes.
UK: Nick Stoughton (HoD), Andrew Josey (Open Group Liaison) Norway: Keld Simonsen (HoD) Canada: David Blackwood (HoD) U.S. Roger Martin (HoD) Lowell Johnson Bob Barned Convener: Jim Oblinger
1.3 Drafting Committee: David Blackwood (Canada) and Keld Simonsen (Norway)
- N813 Convener Action Item Report
- N815 U.S Action Item Report
- N816 Canadian Action Item Report
- N817 Norway Action Item Report
Action items rolled over from previous meeting.
0007-01 (Andrew Josey) -- Sort e1247, e1221, e1220, e1219, e1218, e1217, e1216, e1215, e1204, e1194, e1193, e1163, e1158, e1157 into a single record of response and forward them to Keld to mount on the WG15 web site, and to continue doing this on an annual basis. (rolled over from 9804-21, 9901-07, 9907-03)
***AI (Keld) Post the “single record of response” (interpretations) on Web site.
0007-02 (All Project Editors) -- Submit current copy of their document source to Keld Simonsen for archiving on the restricted WG15 web site. This is an archival copy only. The Project Editors retain responsibility to manage the source of their documents. (rolled over from 9901-12, 9907-05)CLOSED…as noted below, individual action items have been assigned to obtain copies of document where it still seems reasonable to attempt to do so.
CLOSED Keld Simonsen (14766) Don Folland (14252-.0) Jim Oblinger (.10, .13) Michael Gonzales (.1j) Jay Ashford (15068-2) OPEN Jim Oblinger (.8) Stephe Walli (.1d received,.1a, .1b, .1c, .1g) Casey Schaufler (.1e, .2c) Norm Aaronson (.14) Shane McCarron (2003.2) Martin Kirk (15068-3, 15068-4, 15879) Ted Baker (.5-14519, .5b-14519) Barry Hedquist (13210, 14515-1, 14515-2.) Pat Place (.21-18011)- The convener has spoken with Chris Harding who will submit a copy of .1g***AI (convener) to obtain copy of .8 and submit.
- .1e and .2c have been withdrawn as work items. We will cease trying to get these drafts.
- .14 is no longer needed. We will abandon efforts to get a copy.
- Ted Baker is submitting the combined/amended 14519 document (.5, .5b and .5c)
***AI US request .1b and .1c from John Zolnosky
***AI (Mr. Stoughton) deliver a copy of .1a
***AI (Andrew Josey) forward a copy of 2003.2 to Keld.
***AI (UK) contact Martin Kirk rgarding copies of 15068-3, 15068-4, and 15879. )
***AI (US) contact Tony Cincotta to see if he has archived copies of any of these documents
***AI (convener) contact Project Editor (Pat Place) for a copy of 18011(.21)
0007-03 (Project Editor for DAM 4 to 9945-1) -- Prepare and submit Disposition of Comments for DAM 4 to 9945-1 (P1003.1g), and submit the resulting copy of DAM4 for Final DAM ballot. This Disposition of Comments report should include a note stating that while a Final DAM ballot would not be required, the Project Editor recommends that a such a ballot be conducted due to the extensive revisions required to resolve the comments on the previous ballot. (rolled over from 9901-13, 9907-06).
OPEN…PUT ON HOLD AWAITING ADOPTION OF THE AUSTIN GROUP SPECIFICATION
0007-04 (Convener) -- Create a new Standing Document (SD-7) which is cross reference table of Project Editors and required archival documents. (rolled over from 9907-12) The Convener noted that he was unable to find documentation (resolutions, etc) identifying the assignment of some projects to the current project editors.
0007-05 (Convener) -- Submit an updated copy of the SD-3 (Issues List) for posting on the WG15 web site. (rolled over from 9907-18)
0007-06 (Keld Simonsen, Japan) -- Review Issue 9 and provide written input to the REV (Revision Rapporteur Group). (rolled over from 9907-19)
0007-07 (US) -- Send copies of the most recent versions of 9945-1 and 9945-2 to the WG14 Convenor for the purpose of WG14 coordination and review. (rolled over from 9907-28)
0007-08 (Keld Simonsen) -- Submit 22.21.01.01 (LIS System Interface) documents to the JTC1/SC22/WG15 webmaster for archiving. (rolled over from 9907-37)
New action items.
0007-09 (Montreal secretary, Roger Martin) -- Distribute the revised minutes of the July 1999 meeting in Montreal (N792r) to the email reflector.
0007-10 (Norway) -- Address Japan’s concerns expressed in N759 on the Cultural Convention Specifications. (replaces 9804-13, 9901-06, 9907-02)
0007-11 (Nick Stoughton and Andrew Josey) -- Assist Stephe Walli in providing the .1a, .1b, .1c, .1g sources as required in action item 0007-02.
CLOSED…those not received have been reassigned in new action items.
0007-12 (Convener) -- Contact Mssrs. Aaronson and Hedquist to locate copies of the missing documents needed to close A.I. 9907-01. (replaces 9907-14)
CLOSED…new action items have been assigned
0007-13 (Convenor) -- Develop a template for project editor reports. Send this to all editors and request its regular and timely completion as a standing procedure.
CLOSED…assigned standing document number SD-8
0007-14 (Convener) -- Follow-up with SC22 on the registration of the POSIX locale and narrative cultural specification (WG15 N785) with ISO/IEC 15897. (replaces 9907-33)
CLOSED…the information has been forwarded to SC22 for registration.
0007-15 (.2b Project Editor) -- Call and conduct an editing meeting to complete a disposition of comments for FPDAM ballot on .2b
OPENNorway and Japan have submitted comments that still need to be addressed. Keld proposed that a new Project Editor be assigned to conduct a Disposition of Comments meeting to address the issues raised in the ballots form Norway and Japan. The US stated that .2b should be put on hold until the completion of the Austin group specfication. Canada stated that we should assign a new Project Editor since the current Project Editor is unable to complete this work.0007-16 (U.S.) -- Forward IEEE Guide for Developing User OSE Profiles (IEEE 1003.23-1998) to JTC1 for Fast Track balloting. (replaces 9907-31 -- Resolution 99-416)
The US moved that WG15 put the issue of .2b on hold (not progress it) until completion of the Austin Group Specification…motion defeated 2-2-0.
Norway suggested that a way forward would be to appoint someone to conduct the Disposition of Comments meeting while a new Project Editor is being sought.
****A.I. (UK)…Call a Disposition of Comments meeting for .2b, to be held the week of March 5, 2001 in Alameda (Oakland) CA, in conjunction with the next Austin Group meeting. Phone links should be provided for those unable to attend physically. This meeting should also be announced on the WG15 reflector.
CLOSED…Sandra Swearingen nominated to be Project Editor
0007-17 (Project Editor 14766) -- Write rationale to close Issue 2 and provide to convenor.
0007-18 (Project Editor .2b) -- Write rationale to close Issue 9 and provide to convenor.
OPEN….reassigned to Keld to complete by April 15, 2001.
*** AI (JAPAN) Review closure of Issue 9 and provide feedback as appropriate prior to the next WG15 meeting.
0007-19 (REV Rapporteur) -- Forward Issue 10 to the Austin Group for final discussion and closure and to provide resulting rationale to the convenor.
0007-20 (Project Editor, Test Methods) -- Determine if reaffirmation of 14515 is required and request the convenor initiate action as appropriate.
CLOSED -. 14515 does not appear on the current list from SC22.
0007-21 (Member Bodies) - Review JTC 1 N 6205 and provide comments to the WG15 reflector prior to the next SC22 plenary on September 11 (by September 1st).
CLOSED – The individual member bodies provided their comments through their delegations to the SC22 plenary.
0007-22 (Convenor) -- Determine the process to be followed for TRs and ISs which are now four or more years old, e.g. does 14252 need to be reaffirmed and if so what action, if any, does WG15 need to take to make this happen.
CLOSED…The convener reported that there is an automatic 5-year reaffirmation process which is initiated by an inquiry from JTC1 to the appropriate SC requesting a recommendation regarding what to do with the standard (revise, re-affirm, withdraw).0007-23 (Convenor) -- Initiate a letter ballot on or about November 1, 2000 to cancel the scheduled February 2001 meeting.
CLOSED…ballot was not issued. This meeting is the result
Actions arising from the resolutions.
0007-24 (Convenor) -- Request SC22 to suspend action with respect to P1003.1g and request that this document not be forwarded as previously requested.
0007-25 (U.S.) -- Forward the IEEE Guide for Developing User OSE Profiles (IEEE 1003.23-1998) to JTC1 for Fast Track ballot.
CLOSED…duplicate to AI 0007-26
0007-26 (Convenor) -- Request that SC22 grant one year extensions for work items 22.41 (IEEE P1003.2b Additional Utilities) and 14766 (IEEE P1494 Guide to POSIX National Profiles and Locales).
CLOSED…extension was granted for 22.41 (SC22 resolution 00-18). Extension for 14766 was not needed because it had entered ballot at that point.
0007-27 (Convenor) -- Forward to SC22 the following documents:22.21.04.01.01 (IEEE P1003.1j/D10 Advanced Realtime Extensions) for DAM ballotCLOSED…see N813…
22.41 (IEEE P1003.2b/D14 Additional Utilities) for DAM ballot
14766 (P1494/D5 Guide to POSIX National Profiles and Locales) for PDTR Registration
22.21.04.01 9945-1 (IEEE 1003.1/D4) for concurrent CD registration and FCD ballot.- 22.41 (.2b) and .22.21.04.01.01 (.1j) are awaiting disposition of comments.***AI (Project Editor .1j) Prepare Disposition of Comments report
- 14766 (P1494) and 22.21.04.01 have been forwarded and have completed a subsequent ballot.
0007-28 (U.S.) -- Forward the necessary supporting documentation (NP) to SC22 for the new projects listed in resolution 00-431 and request the assignment of these projects to WG15.
OPEN…. Device Control NWI proposal has been submitted to SC22. The SRASS NWI proposal is under development and will be submitted when ready.
0007-29 (Convenor) -- Request a sub-division of WG15's programme of work as per resolution 00-432.
CLOSED…SC22 has completed balloting. .13a is 15287.02.01 and 13b is 15287.02.02
2.1 Issues List (SD-3).Issue 2
The Norway action item report (N817) states that this issue can be addressed through the Cultural registry.
Issue has now been CLOSED.
See AI 0007-018 and associated new action item. It is anticipated that this issue will be closed at the next WG15 meeting.
Issue 10: See AI 0007-19. REV submitted a written report to the convener with a recommendation that the issue be closed. Norway disagreed and requested that the issue not be closed. The issue remains OPEN.
2.2/3 JTC1 and SC22 actions affecting WG15 (reference document N813)The Convener stated there was nothing new to report.
2.4 Report on IEEE PASC Standards Projects (SD11 and e1555)1. Resolution 2001-001 addresses the progression of POSIX.2b. The intent is to hold POSIX.2b until POSIX.1a is ready for submission because of their “co-dependence”. Neither POSIX.1a nor POSIX.2b should go forward without the other. A positive action must be taken by WG15 before either document is progressed.***AI (convener) followup and take appropriate action
2. The IEEE has withdrawn the POSIX.10 standard. The corresponding FDISP ballot was passed. No further action required at this point in time.
3. POSIX.1j and POSIX.1d need to go to DAM ballot, but are awaiting Disposition of Comments reports. The Convener stated a DoC for each is expected soon.
4. POSIX.2d DAM ballot closed June 1999.5. 1387.1 (22.21.03.01) was withdrawn by the IEEE. Resolution 2001-436 requests the withdrawal of project 22.21.03.01.
2.5 Liaison and Working Relationship Reports:
2.5.1 WG 9 – Ada (Mr. Baker)Mr. Baker’s report can be found in N828.
2.5.2 WG11 – Cross LanguageMr. Simonsen stated WG11 will meet later this spring in Copenhagen.
Note: The liaison was withdrawn at a previous meeting and this item should be deleted from future agendas.
2.5.3 WG20 - I18n (Mr. Simonsen)The Cultural Registry standard will be issued for CD Registration ballot in the near future. WG20 is also doing I18N API work to align with the C standard.
2.5.4 WG21 – C++Note: The liaison was withdrawn at a previous meeting and this item should be deleted from future agendas.
2.5.5 WG14 - C Language (Mr. Simonsen)WG14 and WG21 will continue to have co-joint meetings. Mr. Simonsen stated that it might be appropriate for WG15 to consider having a co-joint meeting with them in the future.
2.5.6 Open Group (Mr. Josey)Mr. Josey’s report was provided in N820 and e1558.
2.6 Project Editors Reports
2.6.1 LIS System InterfaceNOTE: this item should be deleted from future agendas.
2.6.2 C Language Bindings
18.104.22.168 9945-1 (1003.1, .1a, .1d, .1g) – Mr WalliNo report was received.
22.214.171.124 9945-1 (1003.1j) – Mr. GonzalezNo report was received.
2.6.3 Shell and Utilities
126.96.36.199 9945-2 (1003.2, .2b) – Mr. WalliNo report was received.
188.8.131.52 9924-2 (1003.2d) – Mr AaronsonNo report was received.
2.6.4 Administered Systems 15068 (1387.2, .3) – Mr Kirk, Mr AshfordSee N830. No activity since the last report. The source code for these documents has been archived.
2.6.5 Test Methods –
184.108.40.206 13210 (2003), 14515 (2003.1, .,1b) - Mr. HedquistSee N825, N826, and N827 for the 13210, 14515-1, and 14515-1b reports respectively.
220.127.116.11 14515 (2003.2) – Mr. WalliNo report was received.
2.6.6 Ada Language Bindings, 14519 (1003.5, .5b, .5c) – Mr. BakerNo report was received.
2.6.7 Guide to POSIX OSE, 14252 (1003.0) – Mr. FollandNo report was received.
2.6.8 Guide for National Profiles & Locales, 14766 – Mr. SimonsenSee N812 for the written report. There was a meeting this week to prepare Dispostion of Comments. The new Draft6 (N822) should be submitted for concurrent balloting in IEEE and JTC1. Mr. Simonsen proposed a Resolution to send Draft 6 for PDTR ballot.
***AI (Convener) send Disposition of Comments for Draft 5 of 14766 forward to SC22.
2.7 Defects Reports/Interpretations & Corrigenda – Mr. JoseyMr. Josey’s written report can be found in N823 and e1559. There was nothing additional to report.
3.0 Actions Arising from Reports
3.1 Austin Group Document to Forward to ISO (which draft?)Mr. Josey reported that he expects that Draft 7 will be appropriate for FDIS ballot. The current draft is #5. Draft 6 is expected in early April 2001 and draft 7 in June 2001. A questioned was raised whether another FCD ballot would be required. It was felt that the Austin Group processes (JDOC) were working well and all appropriate comments were being received directly into that process. Progressing draft 6 for a second FCD ballot would result in unnecessary delay. A resolution to progress Draft 7 for FDIS ballot when it becomes available was sent to the drafting committee.
All interested experts are reminded that they are invited to actively participate in the Austin Group process.
3.2 Progressing of .1a and .2bThis issue was addressed previously in 2.4 (above) and no further discussion was needed.
3.3 Re-Confirmation of Project EditorsConcerns were raised regarding active projects and the availability of the corresponding project editors to complete necessary work. It was agreed to initiate a process to reconfirm all project editors.
The convenor will contact each Project Editor to confirm that he wishes to continue as Project Editor. Where the current Project Editor is not able to continue, the Convener will issue a call for volunteers for that Project. The Convener will then initiate a WG15 email ballot to obtain WG15 agreement to submit the new names to SC22 for action at the September 2001 SC22 Plenary.
****AI (convener) make the above process happen in a timely manner.
5.0 Project ActivitiesThis entire agenda item was covered under 2.4 above.
6.0 New Business***AI (Mr. Simonsen) to work with the IEEE and ISO to address the copyright issue on 14766 (IEEE P1494).
7.1 RESOLUTIONSResolution 2001-434 Synchronization of 9945 BallotsWhereas WG15 has already approved the forwarding of 22.41 9945-2 AMD-2 (IEEE P1003.2b Draft 14) for DAM ballot, andResolution 2001-435 Forwarding of Documents
Whereas 22.39 9945-1 AMD-5 (IEEE P1003.1a Draft 16) and 9945-2 AMD-2 (IEEE P1003.2b Draft 14) are co-dependant,
Therefore WG15 resolves not to forward 22.41 (IEEE P1003.2b Draft 14) until such time as 22.39
9945-1 AMD-5 (IEEE P1003.1a Draft 16) is also ready to progress to DAM ballot concurrently.WG15 approves the forwarding of the following documents to SC22:Resolution 2001-436 Withdrawal of Project 22.21.03.01- 22.40 (IEEE Std 1003.1d) for DAM ballot
- 22.21.04.01.01 (IEEE Std 1003.1j) for DAM ballot
- 22.14766 WG15 N822 (IEEE P1494 Draft 6) for PDTR ballot
- 22.21.04.01 (IEEE P1003.1 Draft 7) for FDIS ballotWhereas the US development body has stopped work on IEEE P1387.1 without producing a document,Resolution 2001-437 Appreciations
Therefore WG15 requests SC22 to withdraw work item 22.21.03.01 System Administration Overview.WG15 expresses its appreciation and thanks to:
- the United States for hosting the meeting;
- the Open Group for providing the meeting room and logistics;
- the convener, Mr. Jim Oblinger, for acting as chair for the meeting;
- Roger Martin (US) for acting as secretary for the meeting;
- David Blackwood (CA) and Keld Jørn Simonsen (NO) for acting as the drafting committee;
- Nick Stoughton (UK) for the pre-meeting function.
7.2 ACTION ITEMSAction items rolled over from previous meeting.
0102-01 (Project Editor for DAM 4 to 9945-1) -- Prepare and submit Disposition of Comments for DAM 4 to 9945-1 (P1003.1g), and submit the resulting copy of DAM4 for Final DAM ballot. This Disposition of Comments report should include a note stating that while a Final DAM ballot would not be required, the Project Editor recommends that a such a ballot be conducted due to the extensive revisions required to resolve the comments on the previous ballot. (rolled over from 9901-13, 9907-06, 0007-03) Note: this A.I. put “on hold” at February 2001 meeting awaiting adotption of the Austin Group specification.
0102-02 (UK) -- Call and conduct an editing meeting to complete a disposition of comments for FPDAM ballot on .2b (rolled over from 0007-15 and re-assigned from .2b Project Editor)
0102-03 (Keld Simonsen) -- Write rationale to close Issue 9 and provide to convenor by April 15, 2001. (rolled over from 0007-18 and reassigned from .2b Project Editor)
0102-04 (U.S.) -- Forward the necessary supporting documentation (NP) to SC22 for SRASS NWI (RES 00-431) and request the assignment of this project to WG15. (partially rolled over from 0007-28)
New actions arising from 0007-02
Submit copy of document source to Keld Simonsen for archiving on the restricted WG15 web site.0102-05 (Convener) Submit copy of .8 for archiving.New action items.
0102-06 (Mr. Stoughton) Submit a copy of .1a for archiving.
0102-07 (US) Request archival copies of .1b and .1c from John Zolnosky.
0102-08 (Andrew Josey) Submit a copy of 2003.2 for archiving.
0102-09 (UK) Request copies of 15068-3, 15068-4, 1587 from Martin Kirk.
0102-10 (US) Request archival copies of 13210, 14515-1, 14515-2 from Tony Cincotta
0102-11 (convener) Contact Project Editor of .21-18011 for an archival copy.
0102-12 (Mr. Baker) Submit the combined document (.5, .5b and .5c) for archiving
0102-13 (Keld) -- Post the “single record of response” (interpretations) on the WG15 Web site
0102-14 (JAPAN) -- Review the closure of Issue 9 (see A.I. 0102-02 and provide feedback as appropriate prior to
the next WG15 meeting.
0102-15 (Project Editor .1j) -- Prepare Disposition of Comments report
0102-16 (Convener) -- Followup and take appropriate action w.r.t. POSIX.2d DAM ballot closed June 1999
0102-17 -- (Convener) -- Send Disposition of Comments for Draft 5 of 14766 forward to SC22.
0102-18 (Convener) – Contact each Project Editor to confirm that he wishes to continue as Project Editor. Where the current Project Editor is not able to continue, issue a call for volunteers for that Project. Initiate a WG15 email ballot to obtain WG15 concurrence to submit the new names to SC22 in time for action at the September 2001 SC22 Plenary.
0102-19 (Mr. Simonsen) -- Work with the IEEE and ISO to address the copyright issue on 14766 (IEEE P1494).
0102-20 (Convener) -- Ensure documents identified in Resolution 2001-435 are forwarded for appropriate action.
0102-21 (Convener) -- Take necessary steps to intiate SC22 withdrawal of work item 22.21.03.01 – System
Administration Overview (see Resolution 2001-436).
8. Closing Process
8.1 Future Meeting considerations:Canada proposed a meeting in the Fall 2001 either in conjunction with SC22 (Hawaii), in Canada, or in Northern Minnesota. Norway also said it would be willing to host a fall meeting. The UK proposed we schedule the next meeting in the same way as we did last time - set the date and action Convener to have a ballot to cancel meeting if not needed. Another alternative would be to schedule it with the next PASC/SEC meeting in late 2001.
After a lengthy discussion it was agreed that the next meeting will be October 26, 2001, probably in conjunction with the Open Group meetings. Roger Martin agreed to be drafted to be the Secretary for the next meeting.
8.2 Document Number assignment812 WG15 Agenda – FebThe chair thanked the participants for their hard work and adjourned the meeting at 3:40 pm.
813 Convener’s Report
814 Minutes of Joint Meeting PASC 1494 & ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22.14766
815 US Action Item Report
816 Canada Action Item Report
817 Norway Action Item Report
818 ISO 14766 Project Editor’s Report
819 ISO 13210 (2003), 14515(2003.1, .1b) Project Editor’s report
820 Open Group Liaison Report
821 Disposition of Comments on SC22 N3192
822 Guidelines for POSIX National Profiles and National Locales, Draft 6
823 Defect Report
824 ISO 14252 Project Editor’s Report
825 13210 Project Editor Report
826 14515-1 Project Editor Report
827 14515-1b Project Editor Report
828 WG9 Liaison Report
829 Profile Project Editor Report
830 15068-2 Project Editor’s Report
831 15068-3,4 Project Editors Report
832 Minutes, WG15 Meeting, San Jose, February 9, 2001
SD7 – Project Editor Assignment Table
SD8 – Project Editor Report Template---submitted by meeting secretary, Roger Martin