The meeting was called to order by the Convener (Mr. Oblinger) at 10:00
am, Friday, July 21, 2000. The meeting location was the Crowne Plaza Hotel,
Nashua, New Hampshire. The Agenda for the meeting was published in WG15
N793. After a brief introduction and welcome, the
convener (Jim Oblinger) turned the meeting over to the acting chair (Roger
Martin, US). Mr. Martin also agreed to serve as Secretary for this meeting.
Note: Agenda Items for which
there was no business have been omitted from these minutes.
Netherlands: Herman Weegenaur (HoD) UK: Nick Stoughton (HoD), Andrew Josey (Open Group Liaison) Norway: Keld Simonsen (HoD) Canada: David Blackwood (HoD) U.S. Roger Martin (HoD), Lowell Johnson, Bob Barned Convener: Jim Oblinger
David Blackwood (Canada), Nick Stoughton (UK) and Bob Barned(US).
- N796 U.S Action Item Report9907-01 (All Project Editors) - Ensure they have or obtain the current copy of their documents’ source, for archive purposes. (Rolled over from 9705-46, 9710-13, 9804-05, 9901-03, 9907-01) -- CLOSED
- N797 Convener Action Item Report
- N798 UK Action Item Report
- N799 Project Editor’s Report
- N801 Canadian Action Item Report
- N802 Netherlands Action Item Report
- N806 Norway Action Item Report
- N807 Austin Group Status update
9907-02 (Denmark) to address Japan’s concerns expressed in N759
on the Cultural Convention Specifications. (rolled over from 9804-13, 9901-06)
CLOSED - new action item on Norway
9907-03 (Andrew Josey) to sort e1247, e1221, e1220, e1219, e1218, e1217, e1216, e1215, e1204, e1194, e1193, e1163, e1158, e1157 into a single record of response and forward them to Keld to mount on the WG15 web site, and to continue doing this on an annual basis. (rolled over from 9804-21, 9901-07) OPEN
9907-04 (Convener and US ) to suggest that material being developed for P1494 and ISO 14766 is ready to become a draft document; and has been jointly developed. An appropriate copyright statement needs to be developed for such drafts. (rolled over from 9804-26, 9901-09) CLOSED
9907-05 (All Project Editors) -- Submit current copy of their document source to Keld Simonsen for archiving on the restricted WG15 web site. This is an archival copy only. The Project Editors retain responsibility to manage the source of their documents. (rolled over from 9901-12)
9907-06 (Project Editor for DAM 4 to 9945-1) -- Prepare and submit Disposition of Comments for DAM 4 to 9945-1 (P1003.1g), and submit the resulting copy of DAM4 for Final DAM ballot. This Disposition of Comments report should include a note stating that while a Final DAM ballot would not be required, the Project Editor recommends that a such a ballot be conducted due to the extensive revisions required to resolve the comments on the previous ballot. (rolled over from 9901-13) OPEN- IEEE in process of withdrawing standard. Action item open until .1g has been withdrawn.
CLOSED Keld Simonsen (14766) , Don Folland (14252-.0), Jim Oblinger (.10, .13) , Michael Gonzales (.1j), Jay Ashford (15068-2) OPEN Jim Oblinger (.8), Stephe Walli (.1d received,.1a, .1b, .1c, .1g), Casey Schaufler (.1e, .2c), Norm Aaronson (.14), Shane McCarron (2003.2), Martin Kirk (15068-3, 15068-4, 15879), Ted Baker (.5-14519, .5b-14519), Barry Hedquist (13210, 14515-1, 14515-2), Pat Place (.21-18011)
9907-07 (US) -- Have the US development body call a meeting of the P1494 working group for the two days immediately preceeding the next WG15 meeting that is co-located with PASC, and reserve a room for that P1494 meeting. (rolled over from 9901-19) - CLOSED
9907-08 (US) -- Have the US development body provide electronic
copies of the current source text of P1003.18 and P1003.23, and make those
electronic copies available to the P1494 editor (Keld Simonsen) by 1 March
1999. (rolled over from 9901-20)
CLOSED .18 scanned and delivered. .23 delivered in paper form
9907-09(Convener) -- Ensure that documents identified in resolution 99-404 are forwarded as instructed. (rolled over from 9901-22) - CLOSED
9907-10 Action (Convener): Research rules regarding Working Group
meeting quorum requirements and the ability of a Working Group to conduct
CLOSED (see N797). JTC 1 does not have a specific rule on this issue. It is up to the convener to “make a reasonable” decision in each instance.
9907-11 (Convener): Initiate a review of SD6. Any names not confirmed
should be dropped.
CLOSED (see N797) SD6 has been updated
9907-12 (Convener): Create a new Standing Document (SD) which
is cross reference table of Project Editors and required archival documents.
OPEN - SD7 is under development and will be posted when ready
9907-13 (Convener): Create a new Standing Document (SD) which
is cross reference table of Project Editors and required archival documents.
– CLOSED, duplicate of 9907-12
9907-14 (Convener): Contact Mssrs. Walli, Aaronson and Hedquist to locate copies of the missing documents needed to close A.I. 9907-01.CLOSED - Emails were sent. Convener will continue to attempt to retrieve these documents.
9907-15 (Member Bodies): Provide input to REV on any implementation
of alternative command syntax for the dd” command.
CLOSED - UK, Canada, and US provided responses indicating no further action is needed.
9907-16 (Canada): Recommend action to the Austin Group for resolving Issue 3 – (see N801) - CLOSED
9907-17 (Japan): Notify WG15 by the next meeting if Issue 8 should remain open. If yes, provide input for resolving this issue. If no, or there is no response, then the Issue 8 will be closed. CLOSED – no response has been received.
9907-18 (Convener): Submit an updated copy of the SD-3
(Issues List) for posting on the WG15 web site.
9907-19 (Keld Simonsen, Japan): Review Issue
9 and provide written input to the REV (Revision Rapporteur Group).
CLOSED - Keld, no input at this time. Japan no response.
9907-20 (Canada): By 31Dec99, provide a written proposal to REV to resolve Issue 10. CLOSED (see N801). No input. Recommend issue be closed.
9907-21 (Member Bodies): Review and comment regarding Style Issues arising from draft 1 of the Austin Group revision document. CLOSED - Canada, US, UK, Norway (email 1494), and Netherlands provided responses.
9907-22 (Convener): Remind all WG15 Project Editors that a written report on all projects is required 30 days prior to a WG15 meeting. CLOSED - see N799
9907-23 (Project Editors): Submit a written report to the Convener no later than 99-09-01. CLOSED. Overcome by events.
9907-24 (Project Ed 9945-3): Submit a “core dump” to REV regarding LIS standardization efforts. CLOSED
9907-25 (Convener): Remind SC22 Secretary that the Print Administration work item (22.21.03.03)should be withdrawn by SC22. CLOSED.
9907-26 (Member Bodies): Raise the issue of the C Revision which introduces incompatibilities with the POSIX standard and locales to their SC22 and WG14 advisory bodies to request that they take the steps necessary to get the C standard corrected to maintain compatibility between the C and POSIX standards. CLOSED C standard was published in a corrected state.
9907-27 (US): Prepare a Defect Report regarding the C Standard incompatibilities with POSIX standard and locales and distribute to the WG15 reflector by 8/15/99. CLOSED
9907-28 (US): Send copies of the most recent versions of 9945-1 and 9945-2 to the WG14 Convenor for the purpose of WG14 coordination and review. OPEN
9907-29 (Keld Simonsen): Submit a statement to WG15 clarifying the relationship between 14766, 14652, and 15897. CLOSED (see N806)
9907-30 (Convener): Initiate a 45-day Letter Ballot to approve the proposed meeting resolutions. CLOSED
9907-31 (Convener) Poll MBs to determine if sufficient support
exists for fast tracking IEEE Std 1003.23.
CLOSED. See RES 99-416 supporting fast tracking. New action item on US to take necessary steps to submit .23 for fast track ballot.
9907-32 (Convener) Forward IEEE Guide for Developing User OSE Profiles (IEEE 1003.23-1998) to SC22 for Fast Track balloting. CLOSED
9907-33 (Convener) Forward the POSIX locale and narrative cultural specification (WG15 N785) to SC22 for registration with ISO/IEC 15897. CLOSED. Submitted to SC22, Sept. 1999. It has not been registered. New action item on convener to follow up on this and make sure it gets registered.
9907-34 (Convener) Request SC22 extend the life of the POSIX.2b project ( 22.41) to allow it to complete its work which is entering FPDAM ballot. (See draft Res 99-442) CLOSED. SC22 approved extension
9907-35 (Convener) Forwarding the following documents to SC22 for FPDAM ballot and requests that these ballots be conducted as expeditiously as possible (see draft RES 99-423):
CLOSED. .1j has completed FPDAM and .2b is awaiting Disposition of CommentsP1003.1j/D09 (Advanced Realtime Extensions)
P1003.2b/D12 (Additional Utilities)
9907-36 (Convener) Request SC22 to withdraw 22.21.01.01 (LIS System Interface). (see draft Res 99-424) CLOSED. It has been withdrawn.
9907-37 (Keld Simonsen) Submit 22.21.01.01 (LIS System Interface)
documents to the JTC1/SC22/WG15 webmaster for archiving. OPEN
The JTC1 Strategic Planning/reorganization effort is ongoing. Comments have been requested from all SC22 working groups prior to the upcoming SC22 Plenary.
Two (2) projects are overdue and must be addressed by WG15: (1) 14766 (IEEE 1494) is late for CD registration and ballot; and (2) POSIX.2b (project 22.41) was granted a one year extension., action must be taken on this project (final ballot resolution) before the SC22 plenary. The Convener will then request a second one year extension in order to enable the final processing and adoption of the standard.
9945-1 (1003.1, .1a, .1d, .1g) No report received.This document is in final editing stage at IEEE. JTC1 FPDAM ballot completed with no negative comments. The source file has been moved to the WG15 archive. The document is no ready for DAM ballot.
9945-1 (1003.1j) – N799
9945-2 (1003.2, .2b) No report received
9924-2 (1003.2d) No report received
2003-1997 has been published as 13210-1999
2003.1-1992 was reaffirmed by the IEEE
2003.1b-1999 was approved by the IEEE. The SC22 ballot closes Oct. 26, 2000
Whereas ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG15 previously resolved (Res 99-404) to forward doc 22.21.01.03.03 for final DAM ballot, andResolution 2000-426 Fast Track of POSIX.23
Whereas the status of this document is in doubt at the IEEE level, therefore be it
Resolved to request ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 suspend action on this document until the position is clear.
Whereas Res 99-416 approved the fast track of IEEE Standard 1003.23:1998, andResolution 2000-427 Adoption of Joint Procedures For Austin Group
Whereas five member bodies of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG15 have indicated support for this work, therefore be it
Resolved that ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG15 reaffirms this resolution and invites the US to submit this to JTC1 at their earliest convenience.
Whereas the ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG15 Rapporteur Group for Procedures has worked with the IEEE and The Open Group to develop a set of procedures (see email SC22WG15.1508) for the joint development of document (JDOCS),Resolution 2000-428 SC22 Chair
Resolved ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG15 adopts these procedures for the revision of 9945-1.
Whereas Mr. John Hill has been selected as the new chair for SC22, andResolution 2000-429 Forwarding Documents
Whereas Mr. Hill has enjoyed many birthdays during WG15 meetings, therefore
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG15 wishes to convey its pleasure at this appointment, and wishes Mr. Hill well in his new role. May he have as many birthdays there as he did with WG15.
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG15 authorizes the forwarding of the appropriate drafts of the following documents, together with any disposition of comments, to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 for the appropriate ballot:Resolution 2000-430 Request for Extension – Project 22.41 (IEEE 1003.2b)Draft 5 of 14766 for PDTR registration,
Draft 14 of AMD-2 for 9945-2 for DAM ballot
Draft 4 of 9945-1 revision for concurrent CD registration and FCD ballot
Draft 10 (or latest) of POSIX.1j (22.21.04.01) for DAM ballot
Draft 14 of POSIX.1d (22.40) for DAM ballot
Whereas work items 22.41 (IEEE P1003.2b Additional Utilities) and 22.14766 (IEEE P1494 Guide to POSIX National Profiles and Locales) have made substantial progress and are currently recommended for DAM ballot and PDTR registration respectively, but have not completed within their respective time limits,Resolution 2000-431 New Projects
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG15 therefore requests that ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 grant a one year extension to each of these projects.
Whereas the US has indicated that the development body will be producing a new stand alone standard for Services for Reliable, Available, and Serviceable Systems, andResolution 2000-432 New Subdivision of Work, 22.15287.02
Whereas the US has indicated that the development body will be producing a new standard for POSIX Device Control APIs, and
Whereas the US, UK, Canada, Norway, and Netherlands have indicated their interest in participation in both such projects,
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG15 supports the creation of new work items for SRASS and Device Control and invites the development body to submit New Project proposals.
Whereas the US has indicated that the development body will be producing two new amendments to the Realtime Profile (ISP 15287-2),Resolution 2000-433 Appreciations
Resolved to request ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 create new subdivisions of work for project 22.15287.02 for these new amendments (AMD-1, Embedded Systems Profile and AMD-2, Extended Profiles)
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG15 warmly thanks
- The United States for hosting the meeting
- IEEE-PASC for providing the meeting room and logistics
- Roger Martin for both chairing and acting as secretary for the meeting
- Nick Stoughton (UK), David Blackwood (Canada) and Bob Barned (US) for acting as the drafting committee
0007-01 (Andrew Josey) -- Sort e1247, e1221, e1220, e1219, e1218, e1217, e1216, e1215, e1204, e1194, e1193, e1163, e1158, e1157 into a single record of response and forward them to Keld to mount on the WG15 web site, and to continue doing this on an annual basis. (rolled over from 9804-21, 9901-07, 9907-03)
0007-02 (All Project Editors) -- Submit current copy of their document source to Keld Simonsen for archiving on the restricted WG15 web site. This is an archival copy only. The Project Editors retain responsibility to manage the source of their documents. (rolled over from 9901-12, 9907-05)
0007-03 (Project Editor for DAM 4 to 9945-1) -- Prepare and submit Disposition of Comments for DAM 4 to 9945-1 (P1003.1g), and submit the resulting copy of DAM4 for Final DAM ballot. This Disposition of Comments report should include a note stating that while a Final DAM ballot would not be required, the Project Editor recommends that a such a ballot be conducted due to the extensive revisions required to resolve the comments on the previous ballot. (rolled over from 9901-13, 9907-06)
CLOSED Keld Simonsen (14766)
Don Folland (14252-.0)
Jim Oblinger (.10, .13)
Michael Gonzales (.1j)
Jay Ashford (15068-2)
OPEN Jim Oblinger (.8)
Stephe Walli (.1d received,.1a, .1b, .1c, .1g)
Casey Schaufler (.1e, .2c)
Norm Aaronson (.14)
Shane McCarron (2003.2)
Martin Kirk (15068-3, 15068-4, 15879)
Ted Baker (.5-14519, .5b-14519)
Barry Hedquist (13210, 14515-1, 14515-2)
Pat Place (.21-18011)
0007-04 (Convener) -- Create a new Standing Document (SD-7) which is cross reference table of Project Editors and required archival documents. (rolled over from 9907-12)
0007-05 (Convener) -- Submit an updated copy of the SD-3 (Issues List) for posting on the WG15 web site. (rolled over from 9907-18)
0007-06 (Keld Simonsen, Japan) -- Review Issue 9 and provide written input to the REV (Revision Rapporteur Group). (rolled over from 9907-19)
0007-07 (US) -- Send copies of the most recent versions of 9945-1 and 9945-2 to the WG14 Convenor for the purpose of WG14 coordination and review. (rolled over from 9907-28)
0007-08 (Keld Simonsen) -- Submit 22.21.01.01 (LIS System Interface) documents to the JTC1/SC22/WG15 webmaster for archiving. (rolled over from 9907-37)
0007-10 (Norway) -- Address Japan’s concerns expressed in N759 on the Cultural Convention Specifications. (replaces 9804-13, 9901-06, 9907-02)
0007-11 (Nick Stoughton and Andrew Josey) -- Assist Stephe Walli in providing the .1a, .1b, .1c, .1g sources as required in action item 0007-02.
0007-12 (Convener) -- Contact Mssrs. Aaronson and Hedquist to locate copies of the missing documents needed to close A.I. 9907-01. (replaces 9907-14)
0007-13 (Convenor) -- Develop a template for project editor reports. Send this to all editors and request its regular and timely completion as a standing procedure.
0007-14 (Convener) -- Follow-up with SC22 on the registration of the POSIX locale and narrative cultural specification (WG15 N785) with ISO/IEC 15897. (replaces 9907-33)
0007-15 (.2b Project Editor) -- Call and conduct an editing meeting to complete a disposition of comments for FPDAM ballot on .2b
0007-16 (U.S.) -- Forward IEEE Guide for Developing User OSE Profiles (IEEE 1003.23-1998) to JTC1 for Fast Track balloting. (replaces 9907-31 -- Resolution 99-416)
0007-17 (Project Editor 14766) -- Write rationale to close Issue 2 and provide to convenor.
0007-18 (Project Editor .2b) -- Write rationale to close Issue 9 and provide to convenor.
0007-19 (REV Rapporteur) -- Forward Issue 10 to the Austin Group for final discussion and closure and to provide resulting rationale to the convenor.
0007-20 (Project Editor, Test Methods) -- Determine if reaffirmation of 14515 is required and request the convenor initiate action as appropriate.
0007-21 (Member Bodies) - Review JTC 1 N 6205 and provide comments to the WG15 reflector prior to the next SC22 plenary on September 11 (by September 1st).
0007-22 (Convenor) -- Determine the process to be followed for TRs and ISs which are now four or more years old, e.g. does 14252 need to be reaffirmed and if so what action, if any, does WG15 need to take to make this happen.
0007-23 (Convenor) -- Initiate a letter ballot on or about November 1, 2000 to cancel the scheduled February 2001 meeting.
0007-25 (U.S.) -- Forward the IEEE Guide for Developing User OSE Profiles (IEEE 1003.23-1998) to JTC1 for Fast Track ballot.
0007-26 (Convenor) -- Request that SC22 grant one year extensions for work items 22.41 (IEEE P1003.2b Additional Utilities) and 14766 (IEEE P1494 Guide to POSIX National Profiles and Locales).
0007-27 (Convenor) -- Forward to SC22 the following documents: 22.21.04.01.01 (IEEE P1003.1j/D10 Advanced Realtime Extensions) for DAM ballot 22.41 (IEEE P1003.2b/D14 Additional Utilities) for DAM ballot 14766 (P1494/D5 Guide to POSIX National Profiles and Locales) for PDTR Registration 22.21.04.01 9945-1 (IEEE 1003.1/D4) for concurrent CD registration and FCD ballot.
0007-28 (U.S.) -- Forward the necessary supporting documentation (NP) to SC22 for the new projects listed in resolution 00-431 and request the assignment of these projects to WG15.
0007-29 (Convenor) -- Request a sub-division of WG15's programme of work as per resolution 00-432.
N794 Minutes of Joint meeting of IEEE PASC 1494 and ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22/WG15 ISO 14766The chair thanked the participants for their hard work and adjourned the meeting at 5:45 pm.
N795 Notice of Plan to Revise IEEE Std 1003.2-1999 (ISO/IEC 9945-2)
N796 U.S Action Item Report
N797 Convener Action Item Report
N798 UK Action Item Report
N799 Project Editor’s Report
N800 Document Register N751-N800
N801 Canadian Action Item Report
N802 Netherlands Action Item Report
N803 Proposal for a New Project: POSIX SRASS
N804 Proposal for Division of Work: Project 22.15287 (1003.13a & 13b)
N805 Proposal for New Work Item: POSIX Device Control
N806 Norway Action Item Report
N807 Austin Group Status update
N808 Minutes, Nashua, NH, July 20, 2000